Skip to main content

Mind the mind! My Vipassana experience..

 It was pure curiosity that nudged me to sign up for the Vipassana meditation course. Had heard a lot of good things about it from acquaintances and decided to take the step! 

But there are so many centers! Which one to choose? That's when I came across Saee Bapat's recommendation for the Tiruvannamalai Vipassana Center. And I decided to apply here. 


Frankly, near and dear ones had a lot of reservations about this course, and rightly so, as we had very little information about it. Questions came up like:

- It is religious?

- You will be a changed person

- These things are to be done during old age

- Householders cannot sustain themselves here

- What if something bad happens? Talking, phone access is not allowed even.

But I am glad I listened to my heart and went ahead, this was one of the best things I have gifted myself!

Now here's a short day-wise recollection of how the 10 days unfolded for me:


Day 0: Arrived at the center just in time. The female coordinator told me "I hope you are aware you cannot quit the course in between? Even if uncomfortable, push through and finish the course". I wonder if this was a template statement or if she could read the anxiety on my face.. 

As we gathered, we started talking with fellow female students. getting to know each other (There is a strict separation of male and female sections) 8pm we assemble for the group sitting and Voila we enter the noble silence zone!

Day 1: Daily 11-12 hours of sitting, let me include some workouts in between. 

Push-ups ✅

Squats ✅

Walking ✅

Yogasanas ✅

Great this feels good :)

Day 2: Running nose, fever. Gosh, how do I carry on like this? The only way I have experienced self-healing is through fasting and rest. Here neither of the two is possible. I somehow continued with the schedule. 9th hour of meditation, exhausted I think "Don't we say too much of anything is bad???"

And then the inner voice said "Prachi, just surrender"

Day 3: I tell myself "Workout गया भाड़ मै, lets sleep whenever possible!" With the symptoms increasing, I approach the teacher and shared that I have a headache and a runny nose. He calmly said, "Whatever comes, has to go" 

The inner voice said "Prachi, just surrender"

Day 4: My symptoms actually disappeared on their own! Today we were told to slowly practice sitting motionless for 3 one hour mediation sessions daily. And here I am changing my position every 5 minutes! I summon in my thoughts all the saints and sages I know "Please share some tips, tricks, pass me some cheat sheet, how do I achieve this?

The inner voice said "Prachi, just surrender"

Day 5: Today is a hurricane of thoughts- kids, work, travel, food, blah blah blah blah... Nonstop and is exhausting really. And my inner voice says "First think of how you can sit still for 3 hours without moving your butt you butterfly head.." 

And I surrendered :)

Day 6: "Freezeeee," I told myself "You will be free only when you hear Mr. Goenka's voice next, after about an hour" 

Tick tock

Tick tock

Tick tock

I gave my 100% thinking of the word 'अनिच्च', and alas I heard his voice after about 60 minutes! I did it! My first one hour of successful sitting without moving my limbs :)

Day 7: Next challenge- meditation in individual cells in the Pagoda. The lighting is dim, with complete silence and no sense of time as there is no clock inside. Only the periodical bell is rung to indicate session change While the place is perfect for meditation after a while I start evaluating in my mind:

"The sunlight and my tummy, both indicate it should be 6.30am. How come the bell hasn't rang? Did they forget to ring the bell today?”

The inner voice said, "Prachi, just surrender". 

PS: The bell did ring- it always did on time :) 

Day 8: Eat - Sleep - Meditate - Repeat :) And in between

🍀Put the snails from the pathway to the mud

🍀Spot owls and other birds

🍀Watch bees and bugs

🍀Play with the cat (Mute mode ;))

🍀Observes plants and flowers

Day 9: Tomorrow the noble silence ends at 11 am! I think to myself worried "I hope I haven't lost my voice :P"

The inner voice said, "You have bugged me enough for the last 9 days. Please don't utter a word now. Let me enjoy peace for a few hours at least!"

Day 10: Time to collect the phones. And me with a heavy heart 

"Wish we didn't have smartphones. Life would be much simpler" 

Moments later: 

"Selfie time!" 

"Let's make a WhatsApp group"

"I will donate using Gpay"

And life resumes...

But with a change, with a direction, with new learnings, and new friends.


What I appreciated in this course:

- The center itself! Vast, green and peaceful.

- The Food at this center is extraordinary! So so simple, yet soul soothing. Plant-based, freshly made, and creative! I would look forward to all the meals! 

- The technique, the teachers are completely open and non-preachy. 

- The community was a mix of people from diverse backgrounds, yet so ONE, yet so caring.

- Our daily screen time ;) the daily evening discourses gave the much-needed boost, exactly at the time when the day is almost over and you feel miserable after sitting for so many hours ;)

- The course is run on a donation basis and there is no pressure/judgment based on how much one pays.


My verdict: It is a simple yet effective technique that should be tried by people of all age groups at least once. उसके बाद take it or leave it :)

भवतु सब्ब मंगलं










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snugbub Babywearing 101- Your Guide to baby slings, ergonomic carriers

Introduction This is a story of a typical woman who is expecting a child- abundant sleep (yes as per the concept of relativity), eating whatever and whenever she desires, lots and lots of shopping, catching up with friends, movies, maternity shoots, super supportive family members…… and then the day arrives when the much awaited baby(ies) pops out!! A moment of joy- absolutely! But what happens to the mother? Lack of rest, lack of sleep, constant pressure of ‘feeding right – feeding enough’, recovering physically, too many things to sort out which none of the pre natal classes taught her! And this is the phase when babywearing could become her best friend! So mums/ primary caregivers lets learn more how to make this happen- What is babywearing? Babywearing (BW) is keeping the baby close you, with the help of the modern BW carriers or a sadi or sturdy cotton dupatta. Here you will come across two terms- ergonomic carriers/ non ergonomic carriers. Ergonomic carriers are those,

Rajasthan Roadtrip 2023: All those things that helped

 I had just finished my exam and already was facing severe withdrawal symptoms! Tejas luckily had not so tight work schedule (he was still working on the go). Kids unschooling had the flexibility to plan their days. We thought this would be just the right time for a roadtrip!  At this point, we all reflected- what does each one of us seek from this adventure? It varied from fun to seeing new places, change, being together, etc.  And like always we worked as a team rather than child vs. parents, to help meet everyone's needs. Where to?  Rajasthan, a state none of us had explored earlier. We had already heard a lot of good things about the state from friends and family. And decided- "We will explore Rajasthan".  How: Yes, we did explore other modes of travel like train and flight, but then choosing these meant losing the flexibility we would get in our own vehicle. At the same time, car travel that far would translate to a longer duration as well. For us the pros of a roadt