Skip to main content

If you can't leave them behind, take them along!


What changes immensely after being a mother is independence- we, mothers, think multiple times even before stepping out to the grocery store/ vegetable vendor/medical store with the kids and we start looking out for easier options- home delivery/ ask a friend to pick up what you need/ online shopping and so on. While these are great options for mothers, today I will share with you how these tasks can be turned interesting and how these can be fun learning experiences for you toddlers! Especially if you are a mother with limited/ no help, I am sure you will find this useful..

As a new mother of twins, and being in a nuclear set up, I started feeling trapped, as the whole day (read it as day and night) would be spent in feeding, changing, bathing my twins, taking them out and putting them to sleep. That is when I decided to cut out dependencies, stop feeling helpless and grow stronger et happier..

What did I do: 
To start with, I decided to step out of the house at least once a week with the babies and as my confidence started building up, I slowly increased the frequency. Now, at 2.5 years, I take them out at least thrice a week alone and we are enjoying this totally. Weekends I get complete support from my husband and I get some 'me' time' too :) Its all about taking those baby steps and gearing up to be independent and empowered!

Choosing the place:

  • the place should not be heavily crowded at the same time should not be deserted
  • the place should be within a certain radius from your house, so that its easy and quick to commute with the baby. I usually limit my span to 10 km.
  • ensure the place has good connectivity in case you are using public transport/ cabs
  • ensure the place is kid friendly
Prepare and plan in advance:
  • Start with short span trips of say 1 hour and as you get comfortable increase the duration
  • Choose a time to step out when the baby is generally in a happy and playful mood (I usually step out around 11 am and get back before 2 pm)
  • Schedule your outing such that you can be in before the baby's sleep time, so that you get some rest too
  • Keep a bag packed for these trips, this will save a lot of time. But please keep it light
  • What goes in my bag?- couple of diapers (pants post they were potty trained), water bottle, one snack box with some easy to eat healthy options, couple of toys, a ring sling and a soft structured carrier to keep my hands free when they are in mo mood to walk, my wallet.
  • Let your partner know when and where you would be going and your mode of travel too

Places we usually visit: These are places apart from the play areas/ parks/ gardens/ zoo which parents anyways take their kids to. No matter how 'routine'/ 'boring' these may sound to others, taking my kids alone to these places and spending time itself gives me a great sense of accomplishment and a feeling of independence that 'I can do it' and 'I am not dependent on anyone for my basic needs'! You can easily spend upto 2/3 hours at these places suggested including commute:

1. Grocery Store: I note down my weekly grocery needs, select the items and ask them to deliver it at time convenient to me. I place my kids in the shopping trolley at times when they get tired. Kids learn alot in terms of associating things with their names, utility, basic classification techniques.  A word of caution: Toddlers start demanding their favourite stuff and will start throwing tantrums- you need to be geared up to handle this. I usually tell them you will get any one item of your choice and it will be opened once we reach home and let them pick it - all happy!

2. Vegetable store: Again, I plan my weekly needs and we walk down to the shop nearby. Let kids pick, touch, feel and help you at the store, its a great experience for them too. They learn to associate names with the respective fruits/ vegetables. After selecting the items, I ask them to deliver it to my house.

3. Fire Station: My son is very fond of vehicles, luckily we have a fire station closeby. I take my kids occasionally to the fire station and the joy on their face on seeing the shiny fire trucks is beyond words! 

4. A cosy cafe/ restaurant: Choose a quite little cafe where you can enjoy some french fries/ waffles or your favourite food together (i will write on eating out with kids in a separate post) Take along a drawing book and colours, draw the food items and ask them to identify, you can also let them scribble if you wish to enjoy that coffee in peace :)

5. Shopping malls: No I don't really shop here ;) I usually just take them around, may be grab an ice cream/ have some chicken popcorn at KFC take them on the escalators and so on..

6. Temple: I am not a very religious person, but I do take kids to the temple. Its mainly the environment I love- peaceful, serene, clean and holy. Kids enjoy the 'Aarti' and the prasad too ;)

7. Bus ride: Is your kid crazy for 'Wheels on the bus go round and round'? Then you have to do this! Select a route which is not so crowded when you plan to travel. Chalk out a short route of say 5 stops. And rest assured the kids would love the ride!


Early Learning: Kids are excellent observers and they grasp very fast. Till the time they are not speaking, they try to soak in as much possible and once they start talking you will be surprised how well they can relate to the things and places you have been taking them to! Few suggestions to make these trips more fruitful in terms of early learning:
1. Expose your kids to lot of baby books
2. Carry a relevant book when you are stepping out- for example when going to the mall we carry with us 'Naisha goes to the Mall' book from the Naisha series (you can order your set from Jasmine Bheda)
3. If you are visiting a place that has any animals around- carry those small toy animals
4.You can carry play dough to the cafes and ask kids to shape it like a burger/ plate and so on
5. Carry the relevant toy vehicles. For example hand over a small toy bus to your kid if you are planning for a bus ride
6. Talk about the place you would be visiting a day or two in advance- describe it, importance of the place, what can they see there, what would you do there etc

Hope this was helpful! On this note, if you are in a nuclear set up, new mother, moms who work from home, stay at home mothers, have limited or no help or rather anyone who feels you have lost your independence after becoming a mother, please don't feel confined and step out of the house, not because you don't have other easy options- but to feel good, to boost your confidence, to expose kids to different places, to help them learn faster! You can also invite other moms from your locality and plan such trips together! Do share your experiences and what makes you feel good and independent! Happy parenting :)

The above suggestions/ external references are not influenced in any way and are completely based on my personal experiences/ liking 




Comments

  1. Mama, these are fantastic tips!! I have 3 little ones, and we get out of the house alllllmost every day. They are so much more content when we get out of the house, even if it's just a quick walk at a park!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips! Yes, it's always such a grand production when leaving the house with a little one and going out in public. There's a ton of planning involved and I stayed away from crowded places too when the little one was still a baby then.

    Mae | http://www.thegospelofbeauty.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great suggestions! I have always gone out with my girls. I do a lot, ever since they were babies. We love getting out of the house :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Mama on getting out and about and exploring with your littles. Great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great suggestions! Taking young children out in public can be a very daunting task! I am finally getting to the point where I actually enjoy taking the kids with me when I go to the store or out and about!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great ideas! Babywearing is so much easier than stroller pushing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow I bet it is difficult taking twins out all by yourself! Good for you! Did you ever wear them both?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes yes very much.. but once they started walking I didn't have to :)

      Delete
  8. Awesome tips!
    I never thought to take them to a fire station! Awesome idea.
    Great job on getting out so much with twins

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post, you are so right about stepping out of the house. It really does build your confidence as a new mom and makes you feel better to get out and do something!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never thought of carrying a book with me all the time. It's a good tip! Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your twins are so cute! This post was worth reading for new moms and who stay alone with their kids, very useful tips.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tips for getting out and about with kids! Sometimes I dread going out with all four of mine, but we usually have a great time once we get to our destination!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rajasthan Roadtrip 2023: All those things that helped

 I had just finished my exam and already was facing severe withdrawal symptoms! Tejas luckily had not so tight work schedule (he was still working on the go). Kids unschooling had the flexibility to plan their days. We thought this would be just the right time for a roadtrip!  At this point, we all reflected- what does each one of us seek from this adventure? It varied from fun to seeing new places, change, being together, etc.  And like always we worked as a team rather than child vs. parents, to help meet everyone's needs. Where to?  Rajasthan, a state none of us had explored earlier. We had already heard a lot of good things about the state from friends and family. And decided- "We will explore Rajasthan".  How: Yes, we did explore other modes of travel like train and flight, but then choosing these meant losing the flexibility we would get in our own vehicle. At the same time, car travel that far would translate to a longer duration as well. For us the pros of a roadt

Mind the mind! My Vipassana experience..

 It was pure curiosity that nudged me to sign up for the Vipassana meditation course. Had heard a lot of good things about it from acquaintances and decided to take the step!  But there are so many centers! Which one to choose? That's when I came across  Saee Bapat 's recommendation for the Tiruvannamalai Vipassana Center . And I decided to apply here.  Frankly, near and dear ones had a lot of reservations about this course, and rightly so, as we had very little information about it. Questions came up like: - It is religious? - You will be a changed person - These things are to be done during old age - Householders cannot sustain themselves here - What if something bad happens? Talking, phone access is not allowed even. But I am glad I listened to my heart and went ahead, this was one of the best things I have gifted myself! Now here's a short day-wise recollection of how the 10 days unfolded for me: Day 0: Arrived at the center just in time. The female coordinator told me

Snugbub Babywearing 101- Your Guide to baby slings, ergonomic carriers

Introduction This is a story of a typical woman who is expecting a child- abundant sleep (yes as per the concept of relativity), eating whatever and whenever she desires, lots and lots of shopping, catching up with friends, movies, maternity shoots, super supportive family members…… and then the day arrives when the much awaited baby(ies) pops out!! A moment of joy- absolutely! But what happens to the mother? Lack of rest, lack of sleep, constant pressure of ‘feeding right – feeding enough’, recovering physically, too many things to sort out which none of the pre natal classes taught her! And this is the phase when babywearing could become her best friend! So mums/ primary caregivers lets learn more how to make this happen- What is babywearing? Babywearing (BW) is keeping the baby close you, with the help of the modern BW carriers or a sadi or sturdy cotton dupatta. Here you will come across two terms- ergonomic carriers/ non ergonomic carriers. Ergonomic carriers are those,