Skip to main content

Why Should I babywear?

Having interacted with so many new parents, I noticed some common concerns parents have which hold them back from from babywearing. That's when I thought it will be a good idea to list down the practical advantages of  babywearing at one place based on the baby's age! 

Common concerns parents have:

1. My baby will be clingy: Umm babies till they turn 2, ask to be held whenever they are hungry/ sleepy/ need attention/ not well, irrespective of whether you babywear or not, so please don't blame the awesome tool, thank it, as it leaves your hands free!

2. I don't want my baby to get used to it: Well, as parents we have just too many expectations no? We want the babies to settle down well at the same time we don't want them to be attached to certain things. So I put it differently- you baby loves something and calms down even at the sight of it, why do you want to deny your baby that comfort?

3. My usage will be very limited should I still go for it- Well, will you carry your baby in your arms?If yes, you have all the opportunity to babywear. The carriers are simply freeing your hands and helping you carry your baby..

4. Babywearing is suitable only for moms- No no no get this out of your head! Babywearing is for everyone! Infact other caregivers can use babywearing as a tool to develop that special bond between you and baby by doing those small little special things together! Be it a daily walk, a simple dance, gardening, singing and so on!



Why Should I wear a Newborn baby? (The Fourth Trimester as they call it)


1. Babywearing a newborn helps him feel secure and calm, as he can sense mother's voice, heartbeats and movements as he could in the womb
2. Helps to stimulate milk production and eases the nursing process. The mothers can walk around and nurse on the go- this is the biggest boon a mother can get!
3. Aids the baby to sleep on its own without any 'rocking'/ 'singing'/ 'dancing', unless you wish to  So the earlier you start the easier it is to set up a sleep routine.
4. helps baby to observe and grasp the body language, facial expressions.  Newborns tend to pick up soft skills faster and you will be able to catch the baby cues easily! 
5.stimulates the infant’s vestibular system, the parts of the inner ear that work like levels or sensors to control the body’s sense of balance
6. Helps in digestion, reduces colic considerably


Why Should I wear my baby who is between 3-6 months?

1. Its an effective means to transport for your baby
2. At this stage, baby needs those cuddles and feeling of security after a good amount of play time on the mat
3. Helps reduce colic
4.Awesome tool for putting babies to sleep
5. Easy nursing
6. This is a period when most of the working women resume work, and babywearing provides that special bonding time when mumma is back home
7. This is also the period when parents start taking their babies out. Babywearing makes the whole 'outing' experience comfortable and fuss free
8. Babies at this stage start getting more curious. and babywearing helps them observe and do things 'with you' and with a better view. It helps them blend with you and your lifestyle!


Why Should I wear my baby who is between 6-12 months?

1. You can easily babywear and satisfy your curious baby by at this stage, as it becomes super convenient to show him things and name them
2. The baby is now picking weight and you surely don't want to strain your arms!
3. Convenient to feed solids, as well as nurse on the go!
4. Now you can easily and comfortably back carry your baby (If  your baby has adequate head and torso control and is able to sit with support)!! Guess what? Now you don't have to miss those small dance steps, long walks, treks, outings and all this you can now enjoy with your baby!
5. At this stage it becomes tougher to put babies to sleep- Tadaa- babywearing to your rescue again.. make the most of it and grab some sleep for yourself too 
6. Now that your baby recognises his caregivers, and the separation anxiety is at its peak- baby needs the person in view / vicinity all the time.. Then who will do the daily chores??? Babywear!! Work done, and baby happy too 





Why Should I babywear my toddler?




1. The tiny feet cant catch up with your pace..
2.You don't want them to walk at places like crowded streets/ malls/ railway stations..
3. They can sleep comfortably in the carriers while you get your work done!
4. So basically babywearing toddlers is very much demand based and situation specific! 


Lastly- noone understands the baby as well as you do! So just go by the cues and use this amazing tool to ease out your parenting journey and to create some amazing memories together :) Happy babywearing!

To know more about ergonomic babywearing, you can read my guest blogs at the below links!Basics of babywearing!






Comments

  1. A friend bought me one of the carries, and it was a life saver. Especially for when I needed to get things done. Even my husband uses it. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Fellow babywearer here 😊 I couldn't agree more with everything you listed! Baby wearing has not only made things easier while trying to juggle a family of 3 kids, but is also a bonding experience between me and my youngest❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love wearing my babies especially during the first 3 months. That's the only way I could get things done around the house and for myself!

    Belle | www.OneAwesomeMomma.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. We loved babywearing! It really helped us bond!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't wear my son too much, but now with my daughter I feel like I wear her all day long! You give good reasons :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have literally 12 carriers right now. It was the best thing I could do for my preemie son. And now that I have a second baby, it's been vital to going anywhere with a baby and a 3yo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh lovely!Even my son was a preemie and helped alot in his development and emotional well being..Happy babywearing!

      Delete
  7. I wasn't a babywearer myself but this is a great post! I tried to wear my second but she wasn't a fan of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love babywearing! My toddler was too big and wriggly to still be worn, but until then I absolutely loved the ease of it and being less bogged down with a stroller and all that stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. exactly! Plus our workout is an add on advantage ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mind the mind! My Vipassana experience..

 It was pure curiosity that nudged me to sign up for the Vipassana meditation course. Had heard a lot of good things about it from acquaintances and decided to take the step!  But there are so many centers! Which one to choose? That's when I came across  Saee Bapat 's recommendation for the Tiruvannamalai Vipassana Center . And I decided to apply here.  Frankly, near and dear ones had a lot of reservations about this course, and rightly so, as we had very little information about it. Questions came up like: - It is religious? - You will be a changed person - These things are to be done during old age - Householders cannot sustain themselves here - What if something bad happens? Talking, phone access is not allowed even. But I am glad I listened to my heart and went ahead, this was one of the best things I have gifted myself! Now here's a short day-wise recollection of how the 10 days unfolded for me: Day 0: Arrived at the center just in time. The female coordinator told me

Snugbub Babywearing 101- Your Guide to baby slings, ergonomic carriers

Introduction This is a story of a typical woman who is expecting a child- abundant sleep (yes as per the concept of relativity), eating whatever and whenever she desires, lots and lots of shopping, catching up with friends, movies, maternity shoots, super supportive family members…… and then the day arrives when the much awaited baby(ies) pops out!! A moment of joy- absolutely! But what happens to the mother? Lack of rest, lack of sleep, constant pressure of ‘feeding right – feeding enough’, recovering physically, too many things to sort out which none of the pre natal classes taught her! And this is the phase when babywearing could become her best friend! So mums/ primary caregivers lets learn more how to make this happen- What is babywearing? Babywearing (BW) is keeping the baby close you, with the help of the modern BW carriers or a sadi or sturdy cotton dupatta. Here you will come across two terms- ergonomic carriers/ non ergonomic carriers. Ergonomic carriers are those,

Rajasthan Roadtrip 2023: All those things that helped

 I had just finished my exam and already was facing severe withdrawal symptoms! Tejas luckily had not so tight work schedule (he was still working on the go). Kids unschooling had the flexibility to plan their days. We thought this would be just the right time for a roadtrip!  At this point, we all reflected- what does each one of us seek from this adventure? It varied from fun to seeing new places, change, being together, etc.  And like always we worked as a team rather than child vs. parents, to help meet everyone's needs. Where to?  Rajasthan, a state none of us had explored earlier. We had already heard a lot of good things about the state from friends and family. And decided- "We will explore Rajasthan".  How: Yes, we did explore other modes of travel like train and flight, but then choosing these meant losing the flexibility we would get in our own vehicle. At the same time, car travel that far would translate to a longer duration as well. For us the pros of a roadt