Skip to main content

Riding the dream - Ladakh - XII: Chalo Delhi!

 Woke up to dark skies and extremely cold winds, indicative of the bad weather ahead. Further, the pain in my lower right jaw was only getting worse. Furthermore, majority of roads today up to the Atal tunnel were supposed to be horrendous. The silver lining was that finally, I was going to be back under mobile network coverage starting Darcha.

Piping hot tea and paratha subsided my jaw pain a little bit, and off I resumed my descent. The word was indeed true - the roads were horrible to say the least. I started descending the famous Gata loops, and for the 1st time ever, I experienced snowfall! I was not expecting it, and so was pleasantly surprised! Stopped over to soak the moment in.


The already pot holes filled road had gotten even more treacherous due to the snow. The entire journey was not very pleasant, and the cold and wet conditions did not help. Crossed the mighty Baralacha la, and the weather was only getting colder. My gloves, boots and socks were totally wet thanks to the water crossings, splashes and the snowfall. As I crossed one of the numerous bridges along the way, noticed a few people who had lit up a small bonfire, and I self invited myself. My gloves, socks and boots got some heat treatment.

Stopped at Darcha for lunch, and had another hearty portion of Rajma Chawal. What a pleasure to have a plate of steaming hot rice and rajma in such cold weather, followed by tea.
This also provided some interim relief on the jaw pain, which was only getting worse by the hour.

I decided to halt at Manali today. The guys from KA I met and stayed with at Pang had come from Manali, and provided a recommendation to an excellent and affordable hotel in Manali. Filled up fuel at Keylong, and dropped off my jerry cans there, since I would not be needing them anymore. Crossed Jispa - a wonderful, quaint and pretty little town and in no time reached the Atal Tunnel. All I wanted to do now was reach Manali, freshen up and see a dentist.

Riding through the buzz of the highly popular Solang valley, reached the hotel. After some rest and a nice hot water bath, was on my way to the Manali market to see the dentist and for dinner.
The dentist diagnosed it to be some infection, and prescribed me a dose of anti biotics for now, followed by proper treatment once back home. This is how my face looked with the swelling:


I am blessed to have a pretty awesome family dentist back home, she advised to go with the prescribed medication for now. Since this part was done for the time being, took a stroll at the happening Manali market, and settled down in a cafe with live music. Iced the jaw for some relief from the swelling and pain.

It started raining in the evening and it continued through the night, so I planned to start early morning, hoping it won't rain that early. I was ready to leave the hotel by 615 AM, but to my dismay, it was raining cats and dogs! Waited for another 15 - 20 minutes but the rains did not show any signs of slowing down, so decided to head out anyway. And this was the story for the rest of the journey till delhi - lashed by heavy rains all through. Pounced on the opportunity to pick up some yummy and juicy apples on the way.





Crossing Mohali was the most painful part of the entire journey. Heavy rains led to water clogging at multiple places, and people had utter disregard for two wheelers; I would have been splashed on at least 10 times. Navigating further through the heaviest rains I have ever been in, made it till Ambala, and found a decent hotel to spend the night.

All of my riding gear was drenched, in spite of all the liners and jackets. Squeezed as much water as I could and put them to dry, not too optimistic about them drying by the morning. Iced the jaw to get some relief - the medicines were taking there own sweet time to make their presence felt!
I had to reach Nizamuddin railway station as early as possible the next day to ensure that I get the Xpulse on train.

As expected, the riding gears had not dried out completely, but good enough to wear them in the morning. Plus, I hoped the morning breeze would help it dry out. Luckily for me, the morning skies looked clear, and I was on my way on the last riding day of this journey. After another paratha breakfast stop, the rain gods decided to not miss on having a rendezvous today as well - and down came the rains heavily. I got drenched completely all over again - but Delhi was in sight!

Reached Nizamuddin station by early afternoon, and decided to pack all of my wet riding gear in a separate bag. The experience here was in stark contrast to the one at Bengaluru - first there was no power, then the keyboard stopped working, and then the internet gave up! Finally got all the formalities done after excruciating 3 hours. 

Visited Nehru palace for a scrumptious meal, and was back at the station for departure to namma Bengaluru. The train was on time, and this time I was fully prepared for my meals in this journey - the apples from Himachal, and one roll which I ordered to be delivered at one the stations along the way. 
My physical exertion took over most of the return journey, and I caught up on sleep for most of the way back.

The process to pick the bike up at Bengaluru was extremely smooth and organized. 


With home so close, I could not wait anymore! Did not bother unloading the luggage - simply loaded it as is on the rear seat, tied with bungee cords and I was ready. Ready to get back to the real life. Ready for all the challenges that lay ahead. Ready for everything! That's what this ride was all about, and boy it delivered.

Had a heartful welcome back home, and I was elated to see the family again, eager to share all the memories and experiences with them. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mind the mind! My Vipassana experience..

 It was pure curiosity that nudged me to sign up for the Vipassana meditation course. Had heard a lot of good things about it from acquaintances and decided to take the step!  But there are so many centers! Which one to choose? That's when I came across  Saee Bapat 's recommendation for the Tiruvannamalai Vipassana Center . And I decided to apply here.  Frankly, near and dear ones had a lot of reservations about this course, and rightly so, as we had very little information about it. Questions came up like: - It is religious? - You will be a changed person - These things are to be done during old age - Householders cannot sustain themselves here - What if something bad happens? Talking, phone access is not allowed even. But I am glad I listened to my heart and went ahead, this was one of the best things I have gifted myself! Now here's a short day-wise recollection of how the 10 days unfolded for me: Day 0: Arrived at the center just in time. The female coordinator told me

Snugbub Babywearing 101- Your Guide to baby slings, ergonomic carriers

Introduction This is a story of a typical woman who is expecting a child- abundant sleep (yes as per the concept of relativity), eating whatever and whenever she desires, lots and lots of shopping, catching up with friends, movies, maternity shoots, super supportive family members…… and then the day arrives when the much awaited baby(ies) pops out!! A moment of joy- absolutely! But what happens to the mother? Lack of rest, lack of sleep, constant pressure of ‘feeding right – feeding enough’, recovering physically, too many things to sort out which none of the pre natal classes taught her! And this is the phase when babywearing could become her best friend! So mums/ primary caregivers lets learn more how to make this happen- What is babywearing? Babywearing (BW) is keeping the baby close you, with the help of the modern BW carriers or a sadi or sturdy cotton dupatta. Here you will come across two terms- ergonomic carriers/ non ergonomic carriers. Ergonomic carriers are those,

Rajasthan Roadtrip 2023: All those things that helped

 I had just finished my exam and already was facing severe withdrawal symptoms! Tejas luckily had not so tight work schedule (he was still working on the go). Kids unschooling had the flexibility to plan their days. We thought this would be just the right time for a roadtrip!  At this point, we all reflected- what does each one of us seek from this adventure? It varied from fun to seeing new places, change, being together, etc.  And like always we worked as a team rather than child vs. parents, to help meet everyone's needs. Where to?  Rajasthan, a state none of us had explored earlier. We had already heard a lot of good things about the state from friends and family. And decided- "We will explore Rajasthan".  How: Yes, we did explore other modes of travel like train and flight, but then choosing these meant losing the flexibility we would get in our own vehicle. At the same time, car travel that far would translate to a longer duration as well. For us the pros of a roadt